Cell Against Sexual Harassment (CASH)
With regard to the Supreme Court Judgment and guidelines issued in 1997 to provide for the effective enforcement of the basic human right of gender equality and guarantee against sexual harassment and abuse, more particularly against sexual harassment at colleges, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued circulars since 1998, to all the colleges, advising them to establish a permanent cell and a committee to develop guidelines to combat sexual harassment, violence against women and ragging at the universities and colleges. It has further advised the colleges to be proactive by developing a conductive atmosphere on the campus, where the status of woman is respected. Keeping the UGC and the Supreme Court guidelines in view, AHL has constituted a committee against sexual harassment to provide a healthy and congenial atmosphere to the staff and students of the college. The College sexual harassment committee is committed to:
- Observe the law and supreme court guidelines on Sexual Harassment
- Sensitize the campus community on gender issues
- Addressing complaints from victims
Role and responsibility of Anti-sexual harassment committee:
- To ensure provision of a work and educational environment that is free from sexual harassment (Sexual harassment is defined by law from the perspective of the person who feels they have been harassed and it occurs if the person who feels they have been harassed feels offended, humiliated, or intimidated by the conduct and it is reasonable, in all the circumstances that the person who feels they have been harassed would feel offended, humiliated or intimidated).
- To take all reasonable steps (active and preventive in nature) to prevent the harassment occurring; To address any oral/written complaint about: unwelcome sexual advances, unsolicited acts of physical intimacy, unwelcome requests for sexual favors or other unwelcome conduct of asexual nature. Unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature includes oral or written statements of a sexual nature to a person, or in a person’s presence.
- Obtain high level support from the chief executive officer and Principal & Director for implementing a comprehensive strategy:
- Providing information to all staff and students about what constitutes sexual harassment and about their responsibility not to sexually harass other staff and students
- Providing information and training to managers, supervisors and staff conducting teaching and learning activities on meeting their responsibilities in relation to maintaining a work and study environment free from sexual harassment.
- Develop a written policy which prohibits sexual harassment. The Institution shall have a Sexual Harassment Policy. The policy outlines the Institute’s key commitments and legal responsibilities and provides a definition of sexual harassment and behaviors that are not acceptable.
- Regularly distribute and promote the policy at all levels of the organization;
Ensure that managers and supervisors discuss and reinforce the policy at staff meetings; Provide the policy and other relevant information on sexual harassment to new staff as a standard part of induction; Periodically review the policy to ensure it is operating effectively and contains up to date information.
- Display anti-sexual harassment posters on notice boards in common work areas and distribute relevant brochures; Conduct regular awareness raising sessions for all staff on sexual harassment issues.
- Ensure that complaints processes:
- are clearly documented;
- are explained to all employees;
- offer both informal and formal options for resolution;
- address complaints in a manner which is fair, timely and confidential;
- are based on the principles of natural justice;
- provide clear guidance on internal investigation procedures and record keeping;
- Give an undertaking that no employee will be victimized or disadvantaged for making a complaint.
The College sexual harassment committee consists of members of the faculty, administration, student’s representatives and advocate.
For any grievances related to sexual harassment students and staff can send a mail to the following email id email@example.com
Contact Number: 080 23462632
Members of Cell Against Sexual Harassment for the year 2021-22
|Sl No.||Designation||Name of the Faculty|
|01||Chairman||Dr. Padmaja P V|
Ms.Suma T. S, B.COM Program Coordinator
Mr.Sandesh Ramakanth Bhat, Asst Prof in Commence and Management
|03||Office in Charger||Ms.Ashwini.S , Administrator|
|04||Lawyer||Ms.Kalpana P V|
|05||Student members||General Secretary (BCOM,BBA,MCOM)|